Tips for a safe return to school
At the beginning of this complicated school year, teach your children to take care of themselves
The 2020/2021 school year begins and the coronavirus is still a part of our lives which makes going back to school more complex than ever. In this exceptional return to school, both schools and families must be responsible and careful, each in their own way, rigorously comply with the prevention measures proposed by the health authorities and take extreme security measures to prevent spreading the virus.
However, the true stars of the return to school are the students, who with their behavior will define that returning to school is safe. To help them achieve this, here are some recommendations that will make your children very clear about what they should and should not do:
- We must train them to wash their hands. Surely by now your children know that they have to wash their hands after going to the toilet,after touching something, when arriving home from school… However we also need to insist and train them to follow the steps to do it correctly. So they don’t forget, they need to wash their hands for at least 40 seconds. Teach them the chorus of a song so they remember the minimum time.
- Putting on and taking off a mask correctly is an essential measure. To use a mask correctly, which is compulsory from the age of 6, your children must know how to take it off and put it on. Practice with them so they learn that the correct side of the mask should be placed outwards, that the straps are placed behind their ears or the back of their head, that the nose and mouth should be completely covered, that the mask should never be touched while it is being worn and that, when it is time to take it off, the straps should be held from the back forwards without touching the front. You must also teach them that masks have a certain wearing time and that it is useless to wear the same surgical mask for a whole week.
- In the event of any symptoms, children stay home. If your child has symptoms compatible with COVID-19 (high fever, cough, sore throat, loss of taste or smell…) it is vitally important not to take him/her to school and to stay at home until he/she has been confirmed as positive or not. If you your child is positive for coronavirus, you must notify the center immediately. It is important to make children aware that if they are unwell while at school they must tell their teacher immediately.
- The importance of respecting safety distances. I’m sure your children are looking forward to meeting up with their classmates and friends, but they should be aware of the importance of keeping a safe distance, and not kissing, hugging, running around…
- Protect others. You must teach them that when they cough or sneeze they must cover their mouth and nose with their bent elbow.
- Masks, should always be kept in a safe place. We suggest that you prepare a paper envelope or container for storing the mask, and that children always carry a spare mask in case it gets lost or dirty. You can also mark the mask on the side with the name in small letters.
- They must not exchange materials or toys. Pupils must have their own school materials and may not exchange them with their classmates, the same applies to toys and other objects.
- Each child with their own food. Teach them that they cannot share meals and that several people cannot eat from the same plate or drink from the same glass.
- It is best to avoid unnecessary personal objects. We suggest not wearing earrings, rings or necklaces to school and preferably wear their hair up. In addition, when you return home it is important to wash glasses, mobile phones or other objects taken to school with water and soap or alcohol.
- An individual towel in their back-packs. At school they must use their own personal towel or tissues to dry their hands, which they must throw away after using. Use clothes and shoes exclusively for school and have them take off their school shoes at the entrance and leave the clothes in the open air and exposed to the sun. If possible, a good preventive measure is to take a shower as soon as you get home from school.