Meat pie (empanada)
Practicooking. The kitchen as a meeting point
Diners: 4 people
Age: Over 10 years old
Ingredients and preparation
For the pie:
• Empanada dough
• Pie filling
• 35g of egg yolk
- Divide the dough into two parts and roll both pieces out into a disc shape about 0. 2cm thick.
- Put the filling on top of one of the pieces of rolled out dough, place the other disc on top of it and seal the edges together.
- Brush the pie with egg yolk, and prick it a few times to let it breathe.
- Cook the pie in the oven at 200 degrees for 35 minutes.
For the empanada dough:
• 300g plain flour
• 100g water
• 100g sunflower oil
• 1 fresh egg
• 3g salt
- Put the sifted flour and salt together in a bowl.
- Add the water, oil and the egg and mix together until fully blended.
- Let the dough rest for at least an hour in the refrigerator.
For the pie filling:
• 200g of cooked chicken from the stew
• 150g of shank from the stew
• 100g of ham from the stew
• 200g pisto (Spanish-style ratatouille) (you can buy this ready-made)
- Chop up all the ingredients and mix together.
- Add a pinch of salt and set aside.
To make the stew which has provided us with all of this:
• 1.5kg of chicken
• 1kg of shank
• 1kg of pork shoulder
• 300g of Serrano ham
• 300g of garbanzos
• 60g of ham bone
• 60g of salted rind
• 100g of leek
• 200g of carrot
• 150g of potatoes
• 8 liters of water
- Clean the chicken of any viscera.
- Scald the ham bones and set aside.
- Soak the garbanzos the day before making the stock.
- Place the previously washed ingredients into a pot and tip in the water.
- We will leave it to cook for approximately 4 hours.
- Strain the stock and set aside, we will be using the cooked meat for our pie.
Final touches and presentation
- Once the pie has been left to rest and cool, we will slice it into 8 portions.