Every year, in December, we organize our solidarity market, an initiative involving employees, family members, volunteers and companies in order to support organizations that run projects to improve the lives of the most disadvantaged among us.
People who dedicate their time and effort to volunteering have a strong calling to help others. At Fundación MAPFRE we want to channel this spirit of solidarity by making their talents available to those most in need and we have therefore developed the VOLUNTEER Program, an initiative through which we run a number of products in line with our philosophy. We contribute, with your support, to improving the living conditions of people in the most disadvantaged social groups.
These projects involve social campaigns which are carried out in countries where Fundación MAPFRE operates, mainly in America, Europe and Asia.
Our social volunteering program is both altruistic and humanitarian and is aimed at having a positive impact in the areas of health, education, nutrition, the environment and providing assistance in emergency situations. In addition, through our Comparte Solidaridad (Share Solidarity) line of action, we also carry out specific activities involving a number of different areas. We provide our employees with the opportunity to take part in these actions to increase their personal satisfaction, motivation and commitment while at the same time acquiring general skills that can be transferred to different areas of their personal and professional lives.
According to figures from 2018, we now have 8,618 volunteers in 28 different countries who carried out more than 1,600 actions throughout the year. Thanks to them, we were able to help over four and a half million people. You can find out more about all of the activities included in our Volunteer Program by downloading its Annual Report. There you will find the information detailed by country and by project.
We are proud to witness our employees' growing solidarity. We have increased the number of actions carried out as well as the number of countries in which we operate and the number of volunteers taking part in this program in comparison with 2017. If you would like to take a look at our 2017 Volunteer Report, you can download it here.
Our volunteer program works in the following areas:
- Nutrition: we provide food to help fight against hunger and malnutrition through various initiatives such as social canteens, food collection campaigns and fair trade.
- Health: we offer psychosocial support for adults, the infirm, the disabled and other groups at risk of exclusion. We also distribute articles on health and hygiene, promote campaigns to donate blood, organs and bone marrow, and provide other financial support for health-related issues.
- Education: we support children's education through remedial teaching activities and the donation of educational materials as well as by raising awareness and teaching young people about humanitarian values.
- Environment: we are involved in environmental protection initiatives such as reforestation and the clearing of scrub, woodlands and beaches.
- Emergency assistance: we can intervene immediately to provide assistance in the event of natural catastrophes.
- Comparte Solidaridad (Share Solidarity): on some occasions several of our areas need to work together: These are activities that require a little, or a lot, of what characterizes other areas. For example, throughout 2018, this program has worked on improving the energy efficiency of the homes of people living in social exclusion.
Every year we also hold a charity market for the benefit of those in greatest need.
And we intend to continue along these lines; committed to our causes, helping - together with you - to improve the living conditions of people in the most disadvantaged social groups.