Housed in a building designed by architect Agustín Ortiz de Villajos for the Duchess of Medina de las Torres, following a series of restructuring and upgrading works the exhibition area now covers an area of around 1000 m2, divided into three rooms which are mainly used for exhibiting the plastic arts from the last third of the 19th century through to just after the Second World War. The exhibition rooms opened in the autumn of 2008, coinciding with a new international perspective in our programming following an in-depth review of the modernization of Spanish art between the last third of the 19th century through to the Spanish Civil War.
To underline our commitment to photography, we have devoted space to this artistic discipline in our exhibition rooms on Calle Bárbara de Braganza, on the ‘Paseo del Arte’, the main museum thoroughfare of Madrid. This space is divided into two separate floors of 868 m2 where every year we organize four photography exhibitions of renowned masters and well-established contemporary photographers. The photography program did not start until 2008 with Walker Evans, since when our exhibition rooms have hosted such illustrious names as Lewis Hine, Lisette Model, Cartier-Bresson and Paul Strand, as well as photographers such as Fazak Sheikh, Ana Malagrida, Lynne Cohen and Stephen Shore.
The Garriga Nogués room is opening in the autumn of 2015. Since the facility opened, during different periods and types of activities, we have featured important content of Catalan origin and we have collaborated with some of the leading cultural institutions in Catalonia. A recent standout example is that of our collaboration with the MNAC in 2011 on the exhibition The Splendor of Romanesque, which presented the museum’s exceptional collection of Catalan Romanesque art in Madrid for the first time. The opening of this new facility consolidates this trajectory. We expect to organize exhibitions focusing on the early years of pictorial modernity (1850 - 1950) and on the great masters of photography. Our exhibition space covers an area of over 2700 m2 in an emblematic edifice that embraces various different architectural styles ranging from Rococo to Neoclassicism to Modernism.