A roadmap was set up at the United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development, held in Rio de Janeiro in 2012 to address a series of objectives related to the environmental, political and economic challenges which face our world. The 17 specific goals and 169 universal goals identified in the SDGs (Sustainable Development Goals) have since steered the policies and actions of governments, companies and citizens.
At Fundación MAPFRE, we are aware of the need to achieve the SDGs and we have aligned our foundation’s mission with its goals: to improve the lives of people living in our world. Our activities impact on 11 SDGs and are our contribution to making the world a better place by 2030.
Everyone who makes up the Fundación MAPFRE share the vision of the SDGs and are deeply involved in achieving them through the various initiatives we run. Our activities are a reflection of our ethical commitment to society and each of our departments has made their own SDGs targets:
- Health Promotion: As promoted by SDG 3 - Health and Wellness, our health programs actively participate in the objective of promoting the mental health and well-being for people and in reducing premature mortality from non-communicable diseases through prevention and treatment by one third. We are also working to reinforce the reduction of health risks in Spain and indeed in all the countries in which we are present, to support vaccine and drug research and development activities for communicable and non-communicable diseases, communicable through our studies, scholarships and research aids.
With our outreach campaigns we want to educate society on the importance of a healthy life and the avoidance of risky practises in line with the SDG 4 - Quality Education. All our initiatives comply with SDG 5 - Gender Equality by promoting the empowerment of girls and women at all levels.
- Culture: Our activities to bring art closer to society have a strong sharing focus that aligns with the objective of offering the world a quality education as established by ODS 4.
Our aim is to represent works by leading contemporary painters and photographers in our collections which we want to make widely available to all through exhibitions that are not only enjoyed in Spain, but also in travelling exhibitions so that their reach is as wide as possible. In addition to our exhibitions, we organize courses and workshops to expand on the subject content of the exhibitions.
- Insurance and Social Protection: We organize workshops related to financial and insurance education so that people in society have the resources and knowledge to deal with important decisions in their lives. Our training is in line with SDG 4 - Quality Education.
We believe in the need to offer Aid and Awards to promote initiatives that facilitate access to employment and the continuity of innovative projects in accordance with SDG 8 - Decent Work and Economic Growth and SDG 9 - Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure.
- Prevention and Road Safety: Our goals align with one of the objectives of SDG 3 - Health and Well-being, which it aims to focus on in 2020. Halve the number of deaths and injuries from traffic accidents in the world.
In addition, we believe in the importance of investment in road infrastructures that make peoples’ journeys safer and is established in SDG 9 - Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure. To this end, we promote investment in public transport and help cities to be sustainable and secure as set out in SDG 11 - Sustainable Cities and Communities.
The basis of our initiatives is awareness and training. Through studies and courses, aimed at all areas of society, we are working to integrate road safety into our daily lives, understanding that education is the right of all citizens in accordance with objective 4 - Quality Education.
- Social Action: Sustainable Development Goal 1 is to end poverty in the world. In the area of Social Action, we are putting all of our energy and efforts into launching and supporting programs that help thousands of people to get out of their vicious circle of misery. We fully support the United Nations in laying the groundwork for a more just world and a fair life for all those who live in it.
Goals 2 - Zero Hunger, 3 - Health and Wellbeing , 4 - Quality Education and 5 - Gender Equality and Women's Empowerment are all aligned with our lines of action: offer nutrition to prevent diseases and promote a balanced development, health to survive and be able to grow properly, education in order to have access to better living conditions, and empowerment of women to break away from environments of violence and submission.
One of the challenges of SDG 8 - Decent Employment and Economic Growth, is to achieve full and productive employment by 2030 and decent work for all women and men, including young people and people with disabilities, as well as equal pay for work of equal value. At Fundación MAPFRE we promote decent work and through the training courses and employment support programs, we facilitate access to the labor world for people in situations of social exclusion.
We support the economic development of communities helping to reduce the digital divide, ensuring equal access to information and knowledge and, consequently, promoting innovation and entrepreneurship, as established by SDG 9 - Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure. To the best of our ability, we are working to reduce inequality within and between countries, in line with SDG Goal 10, and we are supporting environmental projects that protect the biodiversity of our land aligning us with Objective 15 which aims to have reduced the degradation of natural habitats, and given protection to threatened species, preventing their extinction by 2020.
All our departments, within their own remits and distinct fields, are aligned with different SDGs, but they are all have a common denominator, which is to make strategic agreements and seek the support of public organizations, both in public-private and civil society, which enable the effect of our initiatives to be multiplied, in compliance with SDG 17 - Alliances to achieve the objectives.
Implementation of the SDGs has given even more impetus to our motivation, giving a focus and timescales to achieve everything that we are committed to, all of which keeps the Fundación MAPFRE engine fired up and running to supprt a great purpose.