We present the Study on Victims of Fire in Spain 2016
Managing to reduce the figures detailed in the 2016 study is the main challenge identified for the future. To sum up what the report showed, last year 175 people lost their lives as a consequence of fires and 133 people died in house fires. That is why Fundación MAPFRE, in collaboration with the Professional Association of Firefighter Technicians (APTB), has taken on the mission of presenting accurate information about fatalities caused by fires and developing preventative actions.
In the presentation, Jesús Monclús, Fundación MAPFRE's Director of Accident Prevention and Road Safety, pointed out that one of the main causes of fires in the home comes from heat sources. “Heat sources include heaters, braziers, stoves and electric radiators. Extreme precautions need to be taken”, said Jesús Monclús.
Also, thanks to the donation from the company El Electronics, Fundación MAPFRE is distributing 7,000 smoke detectors so that less affluent homes can benefit from this preventative measure.
Meanwhile, Carlos García Touriñán, Director of Safety and Chief of the A Coruña Fire Brigade and vice-president of the APTB, commented: “We must not lower our guard, especially those of us committed to preventing fires. The most frequent causes of fire in the home are: heat sources, smokers and electric fires”.
One of the most pertinent questions to be aware of regarding domestic incidents is whereabouts in the home is there most risk of fire. The most vulnerable points are the lounge and the bedroom.
To finish off the presentation, Carlos Novillo, Managing Director of Civil Protection for the Community of Madrid and President of APTB, stressed: “We persevere with prevention, thanks to the firefighters and their work, and we carry on with our work so that Spain continues to be one of the safest countries”.
To reduce the figures produced this year, Fundación MAPFRE recommends a number of preventative measures such as not smoking in the home, not overloading plugs with multi-socket extension cables, turning off electrical devices after using them, not leaving lighters and matches within the reach of children, etc. Also the installation of a home smoke detector.
There is a key word that serves as a conclusion to this study: the importance of “prevention”.
In yours and in ours.
We are all responsible for preventing fires in the home.